Saturday 29 December 2012

Discrimination


"My brothers as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favouritism  Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?" 
James 1:1-4

This message really opened my eyes to my personality and my attitude towards people. I've always thought discrimination was horrible but it never occurred to me that favouritism was a type of discrimination. Discrimination was a huge part of human history and we're glad to get most of the discrimination to go away in most countries. Everyone agrees that this is wrong yet they don't realize favouritism is discrimination. 

As a result, from reading this verse, I've begun to reflect my attitude towards others and I begin to see the people I treat more poorly due to the past or their reputation around a group of people. Therefore, my goal is to begin to treat everyone more equally no matter the favouritism and hopefully, will be able to show God's grace through these actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment